Before You Use That CBD Cream For Pain
Science has shown that early Chinese medicine studied Cannabis and incorporated it in salves for pain, and many other forms as far back as 2800BC. Today, using animal studies, we have learned that it does have potential for use in areas such as chronic pain and inflammation.
In this article, we will discuss what a CBD cream is, its effectiveness, some pros and cons, and what to consider when searching for a CBD cream for pain.
What is CBD cream?
Cannabidiol (CBD) is one of the many compounds found in the Cannabis plant. For a long time it had been overshadowed by its sister compound THC which is also found in the Cannabis plant and is the psychoactive component of the plant which elicits the feeling of a ‘high’ when used.
With the discoveries from research, CBD was found to have various effects beneficial to man, and after the Farm Bill passed in 2018 which saw the separation of hemp from marijuana, CBD was legalized for commercial sale and use. However CBD used commercially must have less than 0.3% THC to be considered legal.
Now CBD creams are simply creams that use CBD in its manufacture. CBD comes in different forms, mainly full-spectrum, broad-spectrum, and isolate. The type used in a CBD cream for pain typically depends on the manufacturer and the recipe they use.
Can CBD cream help with pain?
Countless research has gone into studying the various proposed benefits of CBD in areas like arthritis and chronic pain, neurodegenerative diseases, insomnia and anxiety.
Animal studies regarding CBD for pain and arthritis have been promising but further studies are still required. Research on CBD have confirmed its action on reducing inflammation which is why it helps with pain. However this also suggests prolonged use noticeable effects when used for arthritis.
Other studies have reported positive results for CBD use for pain. Leading to its adoption in creams and lotions for skincare and other uses.
A CBD cream for pain will typically contain other active ingredients known to provide relief from pain to ensure you get the result you’re looking for.
Below are some pros and cons of using CBD cream for pain
- There is evidence to suggest that CBD can reduce chronic pain.
- CBD has anti-inflammatory property so it works on both the pain and swelling in the case of a bruise.
- CBD can interact with other chemicals in other medications or supplements ingested.
- Some people experience side effects which include dizziness, nausea, diarrhea, and fatigue.
- No clear specifications to follow for safe and effective dosage due to current lack of information.
When choosing a CBD cream for pain
- Choose a product with the ingredients listed clearly. A product that doesn’t list its ingredients raises a red flag.
- Choose a product that clearly shows the amount of CBD present.
- CBD is still relatively new as an ingredient so you need to make sure the product you choose has been tested first. If a certificate of analysis (COA) is available, it will provide information about the laboratory results.